Scottie News will defend a cat

Yesterday we noted the evidence against Princess was pretty slim.

Today, we’re happy to report that others agree. First there are those that think that even if the cat did do it, it’s humans who are ultimately to blame. Asks blogger Kathy Hand: “What about the idiot homeowner who went to sleep with a kerosene lantern burning with pets in the house??” What indeed.

Then, there are the hardcore cat lovers who can’t see the cat as anything but unsung hero: “The cat lit her tail on fire so she could show the dog and the owner the way out of the house to safety,” theorizes one.

And finally, there are those who go places the Scottie News never so much as considered:

Something just doesn’t click in this story. If nothing else, I find it really odd that a kerosene lamp was left burning in the kitchen while this person either went to bed for the night or, at the very least, fell asleep on a sofa or recliner. For that matter, I find it a bit unusual for a kerosene lamp to be in use inside a home to begin with … as ‘krysking’ has pointed out, we live in a world where electricity lights our lives except when we’re camping or such.

And it’s awfully convenient, too, that this guy’s family just happened to be away when the fire was started. As the only person on the premises, it would be a piece of cake for this fella to get the pets out of the house, knock over a lighted kerosene lamp and dial 911 once the house was fully involved in the fire. I wonder what the insurance value of that property might have been, and whether the building was in poor condition and needing expensive repair work that would have cost more than it would have been worth.

Meow!!