Saturday morning terrier agility workout

by AnnB on August 20, 2011 · 14 comments

in Amazon, Scottie Dog training

Thanks to Margareta who sent the link to this Scottie dog agility video with this message: “Here is what Telltails scotties in Estonia do to entertain themselves.” Well, it’s pretty entertaining for all us Scottie News readers as well. Not to mention inspirational. Those buff looking dogs make me want to order backyard agility equipment for Bridget and then hit the gym myself.

Hitchcock may have some competition.

– who has written 2729 posts on Scottish Terrier and Dog News.

kuduvkoeraomanik August 20, 2011 at 1:57 am

Hihi, estonian scotties! Its such a good one!

Tegan (Liverpool) August 20, 2011 at 8:09 am

I love the fact that all the black Scotties have it sussed…. stop and eat your treats properly, none of this madly running and scoffing at the same time. Oh and getting fed while weaving through the poles… hey, I’d weave through the poles if someone kept shoving treats (chocolate) at me :)
This made me smile :D

Margareta August 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm

:D
The black ones have just started practicing, so it takes a lot of treats, there will be less treats once they have more practice. The most important thing at this stage is to keep them motivated!!!

AnnB August 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Good point. I’d like to remind everyone who does indeed do an agility or other type of workout this weekend not to overcompensate with the treats.

Tegan (Liverpool) August 21, 2011 at 5:46 am

ROTFL … O.K, must remember that Ann when I workout at the gym tonight… no treats :) When Kirk started practicing agility Margareta, she also used to stop to scoff the treats, but sadly she never got passed that stage… totally my fault. I was hopeless at agility, all that left, then right stuff, couldn’t make up my mind where I was going so Kirk and I always collided! We left when everyone started laugthing at us, including me. Shame as she loves to jump over things, she’s far too old to start over now.

Taylor K. August 20, 2011 at 9:56 am

This video made my morning!!! It was so cute! Those scotties are very talented.

agraciesmama August 20, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Great video ! Thanks ! ^..^

Margareta August 20, 2011 at 1:37 pm

A few more comments. The aim of this video was to show that scotties do enjoy agility very much, and it is a great way of spending quality time with your dog(s). And anybody can keep up with a scottie in agility (*blushing*)!
Serious competition on a championship level is usually ruled out with a scottie (my huge respect to Hitchcock and his handler!), but agility can be a great way to improve your contact with your dog and overcome some problems such as insecurity/aggressive behavior.
I have 5 scotties and have recently started to breed scotties – my prefix is Telltails and I come from Estonia. As I don’t keep my scotties crated and they spend a lot of time in my yard, running freely, I started to lose touch with them… I saw how they interacted with each other, but were not very interested in me. Practicing agility has changed all of this. Of course, you could achieve this with any other sport, but to me and my dogs, agility is a perfect match.

Harry and Lola August 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Wow! Looks like Harry and Lola have to start a new gig!

Heather & Steve August 21, 2011 at 10:13 am

Fabulous video. Our Scotties gave Steve a run for his money this morning – he slipped and nearly put hmself through the fence trying to keep up with them.

Monica August 21, 2011 at 10:46 am

Wonderful video! Those are some happy healthy dogs! I loved that it showed how to motivate the dogs as well. Plus I am half Estonian so I liked that aspect as well.

Stuart August 23, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Three Scotties on a teeter-totter??? I don’t think I could teeter-totter alone much less with anybody else! Think I’ll get some equipment and try it out.

Aroooo! Stuart

Rosemarie December 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm

GOOD!! GREAT!! I have my Scottish Dartagnan , he loves Agility too!!

kmit August 22, 2013 at 10:02 pm

hi! love your video. how old were the scotties before starting training? I have a 13 month old.