RIP Barney Bush: George W.’s beloved dog dies

by AnnB on February 1, 2013 · 9 comments

in Famous Scottish Terriers

Humsafar

Humsafar by lapata on Flickr

Here’s what President Bush had to say about the loss of his friend:

Laura and I are sad to announce that our Scottish Terrier, Barney, has passed away. The little fellow had been suffering from lymphoma and after twelve and a half years of life, his body could not fight off the illness. Barney and I enjoyed the outdoors. He loved to accompany me when I fished for bass at the ranch. He was a fierce armadillo hunter… Barney guarded the South Lawn entrance of the White House as if he were a Secret Service agent. He wandered the halls of the West Wing looking for treats from his many friends.

RIP, Barney Bush and our sympathies to the former first family.

The Scottie News has provided a lot of Barney posts over the years, which you can find in our archives.

The White House official collection of Barney photos can be found here.

Below is a painting that the former president did of his buddy Barney:

Barney by George W. Bush (43)

Barney by George W. Bush (43)

Update: Wendy comments that there are also many great photos on George Bush’s Facebook page.

– who has written 2729 posts on Scottish Terrier and Dog News.

Bronwyn February 2, 2013 at 10:29 am

Bye Barney. Go play with my baby girl. She loved to watch the Barney Cam and she would bark at you. She left me in December.

Bev February 2, 2013 at 3:36 pm

President Bush and Laura Bush,

Thank you for giving this country the great opportunity to come into your home and enjoy Barney. He was such a great Scottie. If the shoe fits…. ‘great President …great Scottie.’ My Abby (named for Aberdeen, Scotland) enjoyed watching the Christmas cam.

Please give Miss Beazley my condolences.

Bev

Wendy F February 2, 2013 at 4:41 pm

RIP little guy. I loved how feisty he was when he took on that reporter. The former President’s Facebook page has some beautiful photos of Barney posted by the family. You can leave messages of condolence there as well. https://www.facebook.com/georgewbush

AnnB February 4, 2013 at 8:17 am

Thx, Wendy. I’ve added the link. I’ll try to get some of those photos up later this week. I especially like the one of Camilla and Prince Charles.

John February 3, 2013 at 9:43 am

Our hearts go out to you with the passing of Barney. I, too, have been owned and operated by two Scottish Terriers and I am sure that it is painful for your family right now. Mrs. Beasley will need a lot of love and hopefully a new little buddy to torment her. All best wishes. Ziva and McKeever send their condolences as well. They love it when I show them the archived “Barneycam” films.

Vikki Gamier February 3, 2013 at 10:31 am

RIP Barney. You were a great first dog and a beautiful Scotty.

Sonya February 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

Oh that’s sad – Poor Bushes and Ms Beazley, they must really miss him. I so enjoyed looking at the Barney vids when I was still working and couldn’t keep a dog – I so longed for a Scotty but watching Barney gave me some solace until I could get my own – Captain , now three .

Mr H. February 7, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Yes this is sad news. Farewell, Barney.
- H. the fellow Scottie

CBMum February 11, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Very sad. Scotties may have been the only thing we had in common with the Bushes but our hearts go out to them. Dogs are a great leveller.

When we first got our Teagan as a puppy, Barney was a pup too and someone ran an unofficial website for him, BushyBarney. We sent her photo in sending him best wishes from the UK & it was posted. RIP both of them.