Hi everyone!

by SandraF on March 16, 2014 · 13 comments

in About the Scottie News

Hello everyone! My name is Sandra and I will be be helping Ann out on the Scottie News.

Ann has written about my Wheaten Scottie, Abby, who had severe allergies this past summer. I appreciate all the comments and feedback received from everyone about allergies and treatment options. I now have Abby on Atopica which has changed her life.

I have always loved terriers. My first terrier was a Westie called Chelsea. When Chelsea was three, I decided to get another terrier. A Scottie called Angus.

Chelsea

Chelsea

Angus

Angus

If only I had done more research….

Angus was an absolute delight but I have to admit I thought for a long time something was wrong with him. I would call him to me but he would just sit and stare at me. About ten minutes later he would suddenly run to me as if to say, “Oh, you meant me!”

It really concerned me until I saw an interview with George Bush. President Bush called to Barney and Barney came running. Unfortunately, Barney just kept on running. Right on by the President. Did not even stop to say hi.

It was then I realized that a Scottie is no ordinary terrier.

Angus loved to walk. I could power walk for 5km every morning and he would just race ahead of me. I figured it would tire him out but nope. He would do his donkey turn (turn around, face the other direction and bear down) just to delay going home. I have learned this is a common Scottie delaying tactic.

If Angus wanted anything, he went to Chelsea who would then communicate to me. For example, Angus wanted out very early on a Sunday morning. I luckily (or unluckily) had a touch lamp beside the bed. If you touch it three times, it gives out a very bright light. One day, I woke up to a eye-hurting brilliant light. Both dogs were sitting by my head staring at me. I turned the light off and waited to see what would happen next as I knew I had shut the light off when I went to bed. To my surprise, Chelsea touched her nose to the lamp three times. I have no idea how she figured that out. Anyway, we were the only ones out at 5:30am. I eventually had to move the lamp.

Angus and Chelsea had a special bond that remained until both passed in 2010. Angus had bladder cancer along with a tumor in his abdomen. It was too late for treatment and he was put to sleep once we knew he was beginning to feel uncomfortable. A month later, Chelsea had a large stroke and had to be put down as well. Chelsea was 14 and Angus was 11.

Chelsea & Angus - The bow stayed in about one minute.

Chelsea & Angus – The bow stayed in about one minute.

Are we done yet?

Are we done yet?

It was an incredibly hard time but I felt blessed to have had them in my life for the time I did.

I was heartbroken and could not even think of getting another dog until I visited my brother and saw Bridget next door. Seeing another Scottie was too much. I had to have another. The quirks of their personalities are too hard to resist. Abby is an incredible dog and brings me great joy (and yes, sometimes frustration) every day.

Anyway, enough about me. You will get to know more about my life with Scotties in the coming weeks.

Here are a couple of St. Patrick’s Day photos of Chelsea and Angus. You can tell from the pictures they are not impressed with their attire.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Love my Shamrock Tiara

Love my Shamrock Tiara

Have a great day and give your dog a hug!

– who has written 17 posts on Scottish Terrier and Dog News.

Duncki March 16, 2014 at 8:08 pm

OMG! Welcome Sandra. I look forward to seeing ST&D News in my mail box again. I’ve missed it so!

CBMum March 17, 2014 at 10:19 am

Hi Sandra & Welcome! What Duncki said. It’ll be nice to hear from other Scottie folks again & for this to be a place to talk about our Scots (and honorary Westies). Our Ceilidh, also Wheaten, has had a few skin issues. Last year finally our Vet decided yeast infection and put her on Ketoconazole and it cleared up, paws have fur again, isn’t frantically licking and trying to bit her rump… not a long-term solution but apparently they’ll be getting a newer drug in to put her on to prevent… not sure of the name just now.

Condolences on the loss of your 2 as well. I know what you mean, and they are all different but as you found, you can always love another for their own selves. ;)

SandraF March 26, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Thanks Duncki and CBMum. I am very excited to write about my favourite topic – my Scotties.

Maria March 18, 2014 at 11:21 am

Your account of life with Chelsea and Angus had me in tears….. Scotties are no ordinary dogs and Olivia now sits by my side in her so particular way: some part of her body is always in contact with some of mine…. be it a foot, a leg, and of course, a siesta together is a treat in winter. I’ve had Scotties for 30 years. Loved your ending: GIVE YOUR DOG A HUG!! Something I will adhere to right NOW!!
I honestly hope you find substitutes. I did whe Lulu passed, aged 14.
Warmest wishes from Buenos Aires
Maria

Allison March 19, 2014 at 12:17 am

Mine stare as well. They have BOTH picked up the peculiar habit of barking at the back door to come in and then sitting and staring at you while you try to coax them in. Finally you have to close the door and they start barking again until at some point they agree that when the door opens they will grace the house with their presence. Maybe they are trying to get me to come outside? God love em.

Beth March 20, 2014 at 11:46 pm

We have an Angus, too (and before that, we had a Grendel, who died of a mast cell tumor, and before that, we had a Scotty, who had lymphoma…). As you wrote, Scotties steal our hearts with their quirky and amazing personalities – yet, there are so many stories of loss. I’m glad you have Abby – and I’m sure you have many wonderful memories of Angus’s unique personality.

As someone who has loved many Scotties, one thing I have discovered is that they all may look alike, but they have very different personalities! My parents’ dog Scotty would play soccer with us – he would kick the ball with his feet! My dog Grendel smiled at us (and at first, I wondered why he was baring his teeth, until I figured out he was trying to smile!). Angus, our current dog, is a total “arrooo-er” – the first Scottish Terrier we’ve had who liked to talk! They are all different – and I’m sure you will think of Angus often – and appreciate Abby’s unique traits!

Daisy March 22, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Welcome. Just flipped over to see if anything was happening on the blog. We’re just a one-scottie household now (though there is a spotty)–the ninth one. You’ve described scotties perfectly. Look forward to hearing more news.

Sharon Binette March 25, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Sandra, Love the photos of your scotties. They are adorable. I had a white and a black scottie and lost them both this winter. They were 10 and 11, passed within 4 months of each other. We got Harry, a black scottie before Sammie passed, Harry is now the center of our lives. They are all different, since Harry has brought a new scottie personality, so we have been retrained. Harry will be small about 20 lbs. Sammie and Scottie were 31 lbs. Still miss Scottie and Sammy, but Harry has brought “happy” back to our lives. I am happy to hear that Abbey is on Atopica and doing well, it makes such a difference when your dog is so ill with allergies. Thanks for your lovely story and photos.

Karen DiCarlo March 25, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Welcome Sandra….Your dogs were the sweetest! I’ve shared my life with a Scottie not once but twice…they had polar opposite personalities. One grumpy and stubborn…but still adorable, the other always sweet as a lamb. I’m so glad I’ve experienced those two, and look forward to another. Again Welcome aboard! :)

Joyce Hayward April 1, 2014 at 9:21 am

Hi. To your friend who just got a Scottie puppy, take him to puppy kindergarten when he is 12 or 13 weeks. I found it very important and helpful for training. Go to a reputable do trainer, not a pet store. Make sure he is class with other puppies.
Good Luck

laceyirish April 1, 2014 at 10:42 am

Bonnie (female) is my third Scottie and, as many have said, has a totally different personality from earlier Barkley (male) and Mindy (female). Each had traits common to their gender, with the girls being sweet and agreeable and the male being more assertive and distrustful of male strangers. They all steal your heart and make changing breeds almost impossible. Lost Mindy at age 13 to an autoimmune disease; Barkley at age 11 to a cancerous tumor. Bonnie has just turned 9 yrs. She has suffered from skin allergies, (we both) suffered from her daily shots, etc. and different meds. I have seen some progress changing her food to a natural duck and potato formula and bathing with special shampoos. I worry I might be too old to get another Scottie puppy, but would love to foster an older Scottie, maybe even a rescue. I’m so thankful this site is more active again!

Maria April 1, 2014 at 10:58 am

@Laceyirish! I also thought I was too old for a puppy when Lulu, my last Scottie passed in 2010 [aged 14]. I was very lucky to find a great year-and-half old bitch at a kennel in suburbia [Buenos Aires]. Olivia had had her first litter but had trouble delivering [she did not dilate normally]. She had to have an emergency C-section and she was now not such a good candidate for a kennel brood. So I brought her home with papers and all. She was 4 last February 25th. Try kennels round your home specialized in Scotties…. One never knows… When Olivia and I set eyes on each other, it was love at first sight. She’s completely different to any other Scottie I’ve had and I’ve had them since 1980…. It’s a question of keeping in touch with all those who have Scotties and those who breed them and letting them know what you are looking for. Having had the breed for so long, made looking for one in Argentina easy for me. Don’t give up! You need one!